Thursday, May 2, 2013

Words of Wisdom.

This semester I was blessed to take all my classes from two of my favorite professors. Prof. Matt Barton & Prof. Ellen Treanor. They are incredible people and have heavily influenced my educational experience while in college. I don't think I will ever have enough words to thank them for all they have taught me. So instead, let me share with you their words of wisdom for a college grad.


Matt:
"Whatever you decide to do in life, do your best at it. Throw yourself into it. Be willing to commit to your work or whatever you are doing. Do it like you are the only one who can accomplish it. And remember, be persistent, not discouraged.
He also shared a line from a poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, "Be not dumb driven cattle. Be a hero in the strife." Which I love.


Ellen:
"How did you feel about it? What works? What didn't? And what would you change if you had the opportunity to do it again?" She is always pushing her students to be better, to always improve. But when I asked her what her advice would be, she simply said, "Never give up." She is a woman who has never given up, and quite frankly, never will. She can accomplish more in one day than I could in an entire week. And if she won't give up with all that is on her plate, I can definitely keep pushing through.


And something they both taught me, from Honest Abe, "Whatever you are, be a good one."


No comments:

Post a Comment